I love this style of food. It’s fast, fresh, light, and packs a punch. This salad has it all. It has crunch from the raw cucumber and garden radish, heat from the red chilli, sweetness from the watermelon, and all-important protein from the beef. A great way to stave off an afternoon sugar-craving meltdown. Enjoy!
FOR THE DRESSING
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice
½ tbsp tamari
1 clove garlic, crushed
½ red chilli, chopped
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp grated ginger
FOR THE SALAD
2 x 220g scotch fillet steaks
1 bunch baby red radishes, washed
1 large cucumber
½ red chilli, sliced
1/2 cup fresh coriander, picked
½ cup fresh mint leaves, picked
½ watermelon, sliced into thin wedges
3 tbsp peanuts, roughly chopped, for garnish
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until well combined, and sugar has dissolved. Taste, adjust if needed by adding a little more tamari to increase the salty-ness, lime for sourness, sugar for sweetness, and chilli for heat. Set aside.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Lightly oil and season the beef fillets. Once the pan is hot, add the beef and cook for 2 minutes on each side (8 minutes all up). Remove from the pan and let rest while you prepare the salad.
- For the salad, use a peeler to cut the zucchini into noodle-like ribbons and place in a bowl.
- Slice the radishes thinly using a sharp knife or mandolin. Place the sliced radishes into the bowl with the zucchini noodles.
- Chop the cucumber into rough chunks and add to the bowl along with sliced chilli, coriander, mint and watermelon wedges.
- Pour ¾ of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Thinly slice the beef.
- Arrange the salad on a serving platter and top with sliced beef and the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and extra chilli. Serve.